12.07.2012

recipe // crispy garlic parmesan edamame

I recently found an intriguing recipe during one of my all-too-often Pinterest raids. 

Crispy Garlic Parmesan Edamame.



Now if you were like me, you are probably saying, "What the heck is edamame, exactly?"  Well, it's basically just immature soybeans in the pod, and they are actually called mukimame when they are sold as individual beans.  They are a really good source of healthy carbs, protein, fiber and nutrients...the perfect snack!

In need of a healthy afternoon pick me up, I decided to make said recipe.  It's very easy and was soooo yummy, that I just had to share.  My version is a slight variation of this one.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 package frozen shelled edamame (or already shelled mukimame)
  • 1½  tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (I like mine spicy)
  • salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook the edamame according to the package. Usually along the line of boiling for 4-6 minutes. Let cool until the edamame no longer gives off steam.
  3. Mix parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. In separate bowl, toss edamame with olive oil.
  4. Add the parmesan-spice mixture to the edamame and toss until evenly coated.
  5. Spread onto lightly sprayed pan and bake for 15 minutes (until cheese is crispy).
  6. UPDATE: Let them cool on the baking sheet after taking them out of the oven (before dumping into a bowl). This seems to helps them to crisp a bit more.


I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment