12.12.2012

review // Carol's Daughter MONOI Repairing Kit

So, I planned to begin a series of reviews on more natural beauty products with the first ones I tried (Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps) way back when, but I've been trying out the Carol's Daughter MONOI Repairing Kit and it's just SO great that I can't not share right away. 
check it out !

This product line's ingredients may not be as natural as my skin care regimen, but it definitely has more natural ingredients than most other hair products out there.  It has No Parabens, No Petroleum, No Mineral Oil, and No Artificial Colors.  The best part about this system, besides being more natural, is that it really works.

I have fine, highlighted and color treated locks.  Because of this I can end up with brittle hair.  I've gotten good at moisturizing and protecting it before I use heat tools, but the brittleness is still pretty inevitable. I have found okay traditional shampoos and conditioners that have helped repair the damage, but I am constantly searching for naturals ones...always trying to avoid chemicals if possible.  I bought this kit at my local Sephora with a $20 gift certificate I received in the mail...so I only paid $4 for it!!  Even without a discount, this kit is reasonably price enough to try it out.  Plus, with Sephora, if you don't like it once you try it or it gives you (God forbid) a crazy reaction, you can return it for a full refund**.

This start-up kit claims to "prevent breakage by 96%, for stronger, longer, invincible hair."  It contains straightening Monoi Oil - an ancient recipe made from the Tahitian Tiare Gardenia and Coprah Coconut Oil (YUM!) - to help repair fine, chemically-treated, or over-stressed brittle hair.  
Yes, Please!  

The set contains: 


  • Monoi Repairing Shampoo, 2 fl oz
  • Monoi Repairing Conditioner, 2 fl oz
  • Monoi Repairing Hair Mask, 2 oz



  • I've shown a picture of all three above, with a quarter, so you can get a sense of the sizes.  They seems small, but after 4 uses I still have 80% of each product left.  Obviously, how fast you go through it will depend on how much product you use each time, hair type, etc.  I still think it's a good amount to let you know if you like the products or not. 

    The first time I tried this system, about two weeks ago, I couldn't believe how much healthier my hair felt, wet and dry.  I'll be honest, the shampoo takes some getting used to.  Since it doesn't suds up like regular shampoos, you need a bit more product to saturate the hair...I gently massage the shampoo around just my scalp and that seems to work best.  My advice...don't scrub, scrub, scrub like with a regular poo...you'll end up with a tangled mess.  Even if you don't, it may still feel a bit tangled, but once you apply the conditioner and then the repairing mask (it has magical properties)...it's smooth silkiness.  You'll get the hang of it after a couple tries.  


    I've also noticed that I can go about three days without washing my hair now (only could do two before).  I don't have really oily hair in the first place, but it definitely used to start looking a bit yuck after the second day.  Maybe it's evening out my oil production...?  I'm not really sure.  All I know is that my hair is still fine, but now feels fuller, bouncier and shinier (naturally!) than ever before.  Thank you Carol's Daughter.





    ** The product cannot be used up and I believe it must be within a certain time frame.  Check with your local Sephora for exact return details.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment