12.10.2012

10 Synthetic Cosmetic Ingredients to Avoid

While on this journey to live life to the fullest, I am also on a quest to live life healthier.  

I believe that can only make life better.  Living healthy to me means many things, but one, is to cut down on my chemical absorption from beauty products.  

Now, I understand that there is some debate as to which ingredients are 'good' and which are 'bad', but to me, I stick with the opinion that if I can't pronounce it or don't know what it's origin is, I'd rather not use it.  Or at the least, use it sparingly.  


Some time ago, when I started learning about more natural beauty products, I came across a list of 10 Synthetic Cosmetic Ingredients to Avoid by Aubrey Hampton (the founder of Aubrey Organics).  I've listed them below, but you can go here to read in depth about each one.  It may change your life.  It did for me.

1. Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea
2. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben
3. Petrolatum
4. Propylene Glycol
5. PVP/VA Copolymer
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate 
7. Stearalkonium Chloride
8. Synthetic Colors
9. Synthetic Fragrances
10. Triethanolamine

I'm not saying this list is absolute fact (I'm not a scientist or a doctor), but I do believe staying away from these types of ingredients can't be a bad idea.

After I eliminated the products I used containing these ingredients, my sensitive, problem skin has balanced out and cleared up.  

Long story short...at the age of 18 my skin became 'Problematic' (most likely due to a hormone imbalance plus super sensitive skin), so I tried every 3-step system available, from almost every brand out there...Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Olay, even Proactive (which helped for a bit but then stopped working after 2 years and left me with drier, angry skin). I tried Retina A from the dermatologist, but that just made my face red and itchy...yay. I even tried more simple brands like Cetaphil and CeraVe, but those still didn't help.

I am now happy to say that my skin care regimen is ALL NATURAL...and I'm loving it!  I just wish it hadn't taken me almost 10 years to figure it out.  Don't get me wrong, I still get the occasional breakout, but they're significantly less and clear up much faster than before.  I've also been able to find many natural make up products in my quest, some of which you can read about here.  For now, I'll share my skincare regimen, in hopes that it may help any of you who may be struggling with skin issues and just can't find relief.  Just remember, it's not set in stone.  Everyone is different, so you may need to tweak it to fit your skin type and schedule.



In the MORNING, I mix a nickel sized amount of Raw Honey and splash of water, apply it to my face and massage into my skin.  I usually let it sit for 5-10 minutes.  (Raw Honey is amazing for the skin, read more about it here).  I gently rinse with lukewarm water, and then with cool water to close the pores.  I pat dry with a clean towel and apply 4-5 drops of Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer.  I tap it on my face with clean fingers.  (Since I have dry, sensitive skin, I don't use a toner...but feel free to use one before moisturizing if you like.  Here's a good natural one).  Sometimes, if I feel like I need a little exfoliation in the a.m. I will use my Clarisonic face brush after I let the honey sit, or I will add a tsp of baking soda and a squirt of lemon juice to the honey and use it as a scrub.

At NIGHT, I use a dab of RAW Coconut Oil on a tissue or cotton round to remove any eye make-up. (It's amazing for this!)  Then I use a facial cleansing cloth (looking for a new brand at the moment, but was using Ponds) to take off the rest of my make-up.  After that, I perform the Oil Cleansing Method, which has really worked wonders for my skin.  Even if you are unsure about putting oil on your face, just trust me and give it a try.  Because I have dry skin, I usually apply a few drops of Jojoba Oil after finishing.  You can leave out this step if you have oily skin.


Okay, that's it.  Sorry this was such a long post, but I really felt compelled to share my story. :)  Hopefully, it helps spark an interest in being beautiful you...a bit more naturally!  Look out for my future reviews on natural beauty products & homemade remedies.





6 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    I found your blog from your facebook status! Love the posts on natural skin care products! I have a question for ya... I recently came across the oil cleansing method online and was definitely considering trying it, but then I read on other websites that castor oil thickens hair and increases hair growth so I decided against it (I already have blonde hairs on my face and would rather not make them grow even more!). So I'm wondering how long you have been doing the oil cleansing method? And have you noticed any difference with the hair on your face?

    thanks :) hope you are well, and I look forward following your blog!
    Paige Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paige! Thanks for reading and following. :)

    Hmm, That's interesting, I hadn't heard that about Castor Oil.. I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method since September of 2012, so about 4 months. Honestly I hadn't noticed any increased hair growth on my face (I also have light blonde hairs) but I did just go and double check to be sure.. and yes, no change in hair growth for me. I assume it could all depend on your personal situation, but in my opinion an oil probably doesn't make facial hair grow (at least not significantly), I think that hormones and genes probably dictate that.

    If you really want to try the OCM, and are still concerned, I'd suggest starting with a 10% Castor Oil - 90% Olive or Sunflower oil mix. I use this ratio anyway because I have drier skin. Even if you have oilier skin this mix may help even out your oil production. Sometimes Castor oil can be very drying (weird since it is an oil) and cause extra oil production to compensate. Maybe try the OCM for several months, see if you notice any difference in your facial hair, and then go from there.

    Anyhow, I hope that answers your questions, but please feel free to ask more if you have them. :) I've gotten a couple questions about all of this so I also plan to write a post that explains my skincare regime in a bit more detail..so look out for that too.

    And I am doing well, thank you for asking. :) I hope you and Nathan are doing great also...I see you are in Michigan now, brrr!! ;)

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie, that's great news! :) Glad you haven't noticed any changes. I think I'm going to try the 90/10 ratio you suggest, and I'll definitely let you know how it goes!
    -Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! And yes, please do. :) Remember to give it a good 3-4 weeks to see how it's working for you (obviously, unless you have an unpleasant reaction). It take about that time to draw out any impurities and eqaulize your skin. Let me know if you have questions!

      Delete
  4. Hey Katie,

    Love your blog! I wanted to share that I've been using the Aveeno daily cleansing pads http://www.aveeno.com/facialcare/positively-radiant-cleansing-pads and I love them!
    I haven't gone over their ingredients yet to see if they have any of your "avoid" ingredients, but they work great.

    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Sharon! :) And thank you for sharing! I acutally haven't tried those... but I would definitely check their ingredients becasue I have noticed many of the Aveeno products, unfortunately, have parabens. :( I did recently find a natural brand of cleansing cloths at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond (they have an awesome beauty area now). I'll have to double check the name and write an update in this post soon.

      <3 Katie

      Delete