12.20.2012

review // 100% Pure Cosmetics - Part 1


Since I have already shared my current natural skincare regimen with you, I figured I should start sharing the natural makeup products that I have tried and am still using today.  

I don't know about you, but for me, trying new products is scary.  I can't tell you how many rashes and breakout I've had resulting from the use of a new cosmetic.  Honestly, my skin is so sensitive that I sometimes have not-so-great reactions to some natural products too.  Although, it's usually from ones with tons and tons of botanicals or heavy oils.

There are A LOT of products, that I've already tried, that I want to share with you.  And I definitely will over the next few months.  But today I'm going to start with a company that I have fallen in LOVE with. In fact, most of my makeup routine is filled with their products.  




That company is 100% Pure. This Cali-based company claims to be "the most healthy, the most pure line of skin & body products in the world." Their makeup is colored from the antioxidant rich pigments of fruits & vegetables, which is like health food for skin. Their products (skincare and makeup) contain absolutely no synthetic chemicals, artificial fragrances, chemical preservatives or any other toxins.  

Sounds totally made up, right?!  Well, luckily it's not.  

With one look at any of their product's ingredient lists, you'll see that they really are made of 100% natural ingredients, some are even organic.

 At first, I was still pretty skeptical since I couldn't sample or try out any of the line (they do not have any local stores and only limited skincare products at Ulta).  I mean, it's great that they only use natural ingredients, but do the products really work and look as good as mainstream makeup??  

Well, since they had such great reviews and an easy return policy, I decided to throw caution to the wind and find out.  

I started by purchasing a few things from their website during their Labor Day special.  Their LUMINOUS FACE PRIMER was 50% off, so I bought that, and if I spent $50, I could get free shipping... so I bought their FRUIT PIGMENTED TINTED MOISTURIZER, FRUIT PIGMENTED MASCARA, and ORGANIC COFFEE BEAN CAFFEINE EYE CREAM, as well.  These were all things I was interested in anyway, so score for me!  :)


Let's start with the ORGANIC COFFEE BEAN CAFFEINE EYE CREAM.


 It. Smells. Like. Coffee.  No joke.  Just like a Cup O' Joe.  

I guess that's because it has coffee in the ingredients.  Not only that, but this little booger actually works!  It includes potent anti-aging vitamins, antioxidants, and nourishing rose-hip oil to make the eye area look more awake and more youthful.  Because I have such thin, dry, sensitive eye area skin, I have teeny crows feet beginning to appear (hello late twenties!) on the lower corners of my eyes.  Since using this (Sept 2012), I have noticed a clear diminishing of the lines and my eye ares is generally more moisturized... my concealer used to flake off halfway through the day, but no more with this.  This eye cream has a nice creamy texture as well, but when applied soaks right in, leaving no weird residue or film.  Perfect for under makeup.  I use about this much at night, all over my eye area, after cleansing and moisturizer, and a bit less in the morning after moisturizing, just under my eye.
   

 On to the LUMINOUS FACE PRIMER.  
 

This silky primer has a nice consistency, not too think.  It has light reflective pigments in it, like mica, that help diffuse the look of lines and wrinkles and make skin brighter, healthier and glowing. It is also "infused with red wine resveratrol, vitamins and antioxidants to shield from free radical damage."

Just keep in mind that it is silicone free, so it won't fill in pores like other primers with silicone do.  I don't mind that so much, since I have started trying other methods to nix large-looking pores (that's another post!).  I apply a little less primer than the above photo all over my face, after the eye cream has soaked in, and let it soak in for a few more minutes.  I find that my natural makeup lasts much longer when I have this underneath.  I also think it makes the makeup look better on my skin, since it nourishes my skin and creates a smooth and ready base.  Sometimes, I only apply the primer on my "good skin days" and I'm good to go.


Next, is the FRUIT PIGMENTED TINTED MOISTURIZER


Partially Rubbed in / Rubbed in

This tinted moisturizer (TM) is a bit thicker than any other I've used.  It's sort of between foundation and moisturizer, in consistency.  Even though it's thicker, it still blends and soaks into my skin quite nicely.  After I let it sit on my skin for a minute or two, to adjust, it looks like second skin...notice the picture above.  I have quite a bit of freckles on my face, and since I also have them on my body, I don't like makeup that covers them up.  I don't want to cover everything, just enhance what I like (my freckles) and subtly conceal what I don't (my ruddiness)I'm Irish...so apparently with my peaches and cream complexion...peaches can become strawberries pretty easily.  I actually use a green tinted correcting mineral powder over this TM to help (another post, for another day), but this TM seems to help even it out as well.  

Remember, it has a translucent finish, so don't expect it to act like a foundation.  It will not cover everything.  100% Pure actually has a line of foundations for that.  I use the color White Peach, which is a nice light to medium shade and has slight warm undertones. Overall, this is one of the best tinted moisturizers I have used, in terms of coverage, color and lasting power (a good 12 hours), plus it's all natural!  I apply the amount above after the Luminous Primer, and let it soak in for a few minutes before adding anything else.  UPDATE: The only negative I have found is that I cannot see how much product is left in the dispenser...when will I know to buy more??
UPDATE JAN 2014: It now comes in a clear dispenser so I can see when I'm getting low, yay!


And finally, the FRUIT PIGMENTED MASCARA.

 

I actually wanted the Black Tea color, but it was out-of-stock, so I ended up picking the Blackberry color, a shimmery black plum shade.  I'm glad I did, because it not only adds a bit of subtle color (can't really see in pictures), but it smells awesome!  Seriously, when I first got it, I couldn't stop smelling it... and I made everyone else around me smell it too!  What can I say, I like to share.  :)  

 Anyhow, all of the mascaras have conditioning ProVitamin B5, Vitamin E, Oat and Wheat protein to condition lashes and make then healthier. This is a nice lengthening mascara, but it's not big on making voluminous lashes. It doesn't handle many coats very well.  I don't mind this, since I use it as an everyday mascara and when I want big bold lashes I use my Maybelline Great Lash (I know, it's not natural).  But since that is an infrequent look for me, I tell myself it's okay to use it sporadically.  ;)  

The Fruit Pigmented Mascara stays on all day, but I did start to notice after a few weeks that it flaked a little right after application. No biggie, I just added a few drops of jojoba oil in the tube and PRESTO, no more flakes.  I really liked this mascara overall, and I think I'll try the Dark Chocolate next time!


I hope you've enjoyed this review and learned a little something new.  Check out Part 2, where I cover some of their body care.  And look out for Part 3, coming soon, on eye shadows, blushes and lip gloss!




I was not, in any way, paid for this review, by 100% Pure or any other affiliate. 
I purchased every product myself and decided to share to help others find a bit of direction in their own natural beauty journey.

3 comments:

  1. i recently bought a few products and LOVE them. i ordered more for stocking stuffers for my girls. can't wait to try more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I love your review, esp. how you smeared the mascara so we can see the wonderful berry color! I just thought I'd mention that they didn't always have that white label on the tinted moisturizer - just peel it off and you will be left with clear glass that has some pretty writing on it, and you will be able to see how much is left quite easily! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabinchen! That's a great tip...don't know why I didn't think of that. ;) I've actually finished that one and the new one I ordered is actually see through...much better!

      Delete