1.16.2013

lions, tigers and GERMS, oh my!



Uhhhhh, is anyone else totally freaked out to be in public right now with this year's mutating flu virus just floating around..everywhere??  Because I am.  Apparently, it takes two weeks to kick in and it lasts on objects for 8 hours. 8 HOURS!!  I could be infected right now...and not. even. know it. 

Gross.

I guess you could call me a germ-a-phobe...I mean I'm not crazy about it, but I will do whatever I can to avoid the buggers.  So, how do I plan to fight it, you ask?

 With a daily intake of vitamins, weekly juicing, a bit of hand sanitizer, (I like Crabtree and Evelyn's Antibacterial Moisturizing Hand Gel in Citron, Honey & Coriander - it sanitizes and and naturally moisturizes!) and this list of obvious (and not so obvious) tips:


1//  Don't touch the first floor elevator button or escalator handrails. They are breeding grounds for germs.

2//  Use the first toilet stall, research shows that most people use the middle stall in public bathrooms, so those have the most bacteria.

3//  Instead of using your hand to flush a public toilet, use your foot or a bundle of toilet paper.

4//  To open the public bathroom door from the inside, use a piece of paper towel, then dispose of it properly.  Remember that the soap dispenser and faucet also harbor germs because they are touched before hand washing.

5//  Most grocers provide sanitizing wipes in the entrance, wipe down the shopping cart handle and seat and then use another one on your hands.

6//  About as germ infested as the restroom, avoid these dirty spots in your work break-room: the coffee pot, microwave & fridge handles, stocked dishes, and sink (sponge). Also try to avoid the water fountain and vending machine buttons.
 
7//  The phone, keyboard and desktop of your desk area are just as germ-y as any restroom. Use a disinfectant wipe to clean these items at the end of every day.

MOST IMPORTANTLY//  Keep your fingers out of your mouth, do not rub your eyes or nose and WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN!

And if you're unlucky enough to catch the flu, please stay home (we all beg of you!) and avoid touching things others come in contact with.  No need to keep on spreading it, right?!  Now, if you can't stay home, take meds to alleviate symptoms, when you do sneeze or cough use several tissues and face away from crowds, wash your hands very frequently, especially after touching your face, coughing or sneezing, and wipe down any surfaces you touch.

 
I just want to mention one last thing that I found in my research; that frequent use of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes may be bad. (I know, I know...it goes against everything we've been told)  It's because the antibacterials also kill the good bacteria on your skin that your body needs to defend against the bad bacteria. Just try to limit use to only when you absolutely can't get to a sink & soap.


I hope these tips help you defend against the flu season bugs. 
 And if you have any helpful tips, please feel free to share your two cents!  Good luck!



I gathered a lot of this information from the following sites, as well as added a few of my own tips.  :)
  



No comments:

Post a Comment