1.21.2013

The Beauty Benefits of..... Apple Cider Vinegar


from here

Oh, it can be used for much more than just dressing salads, my friends.  This cheap, all-natural kitchen staple can help make you b-e-a-utiful.  It's been used for centuries for a variety of things, but lately I've been using it as a all-natural hair conditioner and facial toner... and I though I'd share!

 Harsh soaps and chemical-laden shampoos strip hair and skin of its natural oils, which leaves you feeling dry all over (this can sometimes cause an overproduction of natural oils to make up for the dryness -- no good!).  Apple Cider Vinegar, with it's ideal acidity level, counteracts that process and actually balances your skin and hair's natural pH levels.  
Now, you need to make sure that you get the good stuff though. Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ORACV) has the most benefits, due to it's inclusion of 'mother'.  Mother is a dark, cloudy, foam that contains many minerals and trace elements such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, chlorine, sodium, sulfur, copper, iron, silicon and fluorine, all vital for body health.  I know, I know, it doesn't sound very pretty, but the effects of using it will be.  I've been using Tree of Life Raw Organic ACV, but there are many great brands out there.  You can find them at most health food stores and some grocers.


Natural Hair Conditioner Rinse
 
from here
 
  Months ago, I learned that ORACV can be used as a rinse for hair, so I've been using it once or twice a week since then.  It removes product buildup, which clarifies hair and increases body. It also closes the hair cuticle so light reflects off of it...giving way to super shiny locks!  It's like a hair recharger.  

To relive smoother hair days, mix the equal parts ORACV and water together. After shampooing, pour the mixture into your hair.  If you have a spray bottle, that works even better. Massage it into your scalp. Let the apple cider vinegar sit for a few minutes before rinsing fully with water. You can finish with a light conditioning, but there's really no need to use conditioner. The apple cider vinegar will leave hair feeling smooth and soft.


Natural Facial Toner

from here

  About two weeks ago, I started using ORACV as a morning and night toner.  I heard somewhere (unfortunately, I can't remember) that it is good at combating acne and discoloration (both of which I had at the time).  Also, because skin is naturally acidic, ORACV can help restore your skin's natural pH balance, leaving it at an optimum level between oily and dry.  So far it has cleared up my small blemishes in record time (days instead of a week or more) and I feel it has even lightened some of my darker freckles and lessened my ruddiness.  All wins, yippee!
  
To use as a daily toner, mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water (I like distilled).  If you have really sensitive skin, you may want to dilute the solution further.  After naturally cleansing morning and night, I squirt a bit of the mixture on a cotton round and smooth all over my face.  This will leave a light layer on the skin, locking in moisture.  Don't worry, the vinegar smell will dissipate after a few minutes.  To finish,  I lightly moisturize with Jojoba oil.

(Always remember to do a skin test first to make sure your skin is not too sensitive -- even with an extra diluted version. Place a small amount on your neck and leave it on for 15 minutes. If you do not see any reaction then you can apply it directly to your face.)

________________________


These are the two ways I use ORACV right now, but below are other interesting uses that I found...some that I can't wait to try!

For Sunburn Relief  //  Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath, and soak for 10 minutes.

As a Natural Aftershave (for the guys)  //  Fill a bottle with equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, and shake before applying to the face. 

To Reduce Allergies and Illness  //  Research suggests that ORACV can help with allergies because of its ability to reduce mucous and sinus congestion. When reducing the effects of allergies, it can also help stave off sinus infections and their related symptoms (sore throats and headaches).  Drink at least 2 tablespoons mixed with 8 oz of water daily.  You can also add a tablespoon of organic honey or stevia if it tastes too bitter for you. **

As a remedy for bad breath  //  Due to its antiseptic properties, it makes a wonderful remedy for bad breath or halitosis. Simply add 2 teaspoons of ORACV into a cup of water and gargle the mixture in your mouth for 10 seconds at a time and spit the solution out. Repeat until the cup is empty.  

To Eliminate Body Odor  //  It can help adjust the skin's pH level which helps to eliminate odor-causing bacteria. For armpit odor, simply wipe them once each morning with undiluted apple cider vinegar (using a cotton ball). For foot odor, fill a pan with warm water and add 1/3 cup of ACV, then let your feet soak in this mixture for 15 minutes once per week.

 To Alleviate Heartburn  //  Mix 2 tablespoons ORACV in 8 oz of water, taken three times a day before meals. **

AND EVEN As Flea Prevention on Pets  // A mix of one part vinegar and one part water can be sprayed on your pets fur and rubbed in generously to the skin. Saturate the entire coat, and continue every day for a few days to a week. Any flea infestation should vanish. 

Feel free you send me an email or post a comment below with any questions.  

How do you use your Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar?





**Please consult a physician if you are taking any prescription medications or if you have any serious ailments, 
before starting any oral ORACV regimen.  

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I had no idea that ACV could be used for a hair treatment and will definitely give this a try!

    I can, however, attest to the fact that it is a great help with heartburn. My boyfriend has severe GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and I found by researching online that ACV mixed with baking soda before each meal helps. He has been using this mixture for a while now and no longer suffers from the pain of the GERD.
    It was particularly interesting to me that conventional medicine preaches that GERD is caused due to an over-production of acid, however, the ACV treatment works off of the premise that you in fact have not enough acid production and that slows digestion which, in turn, causes the painful reflux.
    It is a great product with a multitude of uses.

    Thanks for the post!
    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! And I hope you do try it on your hair, I love it...and I have my mom doing it now too! :)

      Wow, I didn't realize it was that effective as an acid reflux remedy, that's awesome. I definitely agree that it is a great product. I think during this allergy season I will use it to help with my sinus issues...I'll let you know how that goes!

      Thanks for your input. :)

      <3 Katie

      Delete