7.15.2014

recipe // Gluten-Free Coconut Flour Pizza Crust


I'm not really allergic to gluten (or at least it hasn't been confirmed by a doctor), but I do think I have somewhat of a gluten intolerance.  Let's just say that if I eat too much, my digestive tract hates me.  All in all, I've been able to avoid pasta and sandwiches (for the most part), but I've had the hardest time giving up PIZZA.  It's probably one of my all time favorite foods.  Because of this, I have definintely eaten some even after I realized my body's hate for gluten, and every time I remember why I shouldn't.  So, except for the occasional Mellow Mushroom, I've been really trying to avoid it.  

That's lead me to a search for a gluten free crust recipe that I can make at home.  Needless to say, it's quite a daunting task.  I've tried so many that failed, like the cauliflower version that's roaming around Pinterest, until this past week.  I found one that is simple to make, and crisps up like regular dough.  It's pretty darn amazing in my book.  So for all you other Ex-Gluten people out there who want some delicious pizza, I thought I'd share.  I did add a few extras, but the main recipe is from another Katie (www.thischickcooks.net) who says she originally got it from another source but couldn't remember who.  So if you know, please let us know so we can give them a shout out!  :)

Okay, enough chit chat, let's get cooking!


What You Need

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese  (The full fat type works best)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cream of buckwheat  (or flax meal - this is what I use)
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon basil  (optional)
Pinch of cayenne  (optional)
Pinch of garlic powder  (optional)





What To Do


1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
3. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper, or use a SILPAT like I did, and spread the cheese mixture on the paper/SILPAT as thinly as possible, using the back of a spoon or fork.
4. Reduce heat to 400 and bake on the top rack for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is starting to look golden in places.  Remove from the oven and add desired toppings.
5. Bake for a few minutes, just to melt cheese on top.








I love all kinds of toppings, but this time I used pizza sauce, baby spinach, baby Bella mushrooms, black olives, and pesto.  I also topped it off with a little parmesan & mozzarella, which I usually try to avoid since the crust is full of cheese.


Go ahead and try whatever you like.  And let me know if you come up with an amazing combination, I'd love to try it out!  This recipe is also not vegan, of course, so if you have an awesome gluten and dairy free option, please share that with us as well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment