6.02.2014

fabulous find // Milk Glass


I actually acquired this 'fabulous find' a couple months ago with my mom when we visited Dade City.  It was in one of the {many} cute antique stores there.  I've been wanting to share, but there were some other posts that I wanted to share first.  Anyhow, within the past year or so I've developed a love for milk glass, or "Opal Glass" as it was once called.  Milk glass has been around since the 16th century and originated in Italy.  It is an opaque or translucent, milky white or colored glass, blown or pressed into a wide variety of shapes.  
 Pink Milk Glass Hobnail Vase by Fenton by BarkingSandsVintage
 But my favorite is the pure white variety.  I just love how crisp & clean the white juxtaposes with their fun patterns & shapes.  Plus, anything you put in them just pops!


http://www.twothirdshazel.com/2012_03_01_archive.html


The style I have is a white Fenton milk glass Hobnail Ruffled Dish.  I'm not sure if it's the real thing, or a replica...my guess is a replica because it doesn't have the "Fenton" stamp on the bottom.  Honestly, I don't care either way.  I still LOVE it!


I hemmed & hawed for a while about what to use it for, but in the end decided it's future rested with holding beautiful bits and baubles.  AKA my jewelry.


Since it's pretty flat in the center it holds all of my small{er} earrings without jumbling them. And the ruffled edges are perfect for some of my medium-sized dangle earrings.


I also love how it completes my jewelry area. I've been really enjoying putting on my jewelry every morning because seeing it, just makes me smile. 

That's pretty much it for my first piece of Milk Glass.  I can't wait to add a second to my collection... I'm on the look out for a fun vase or cake plate!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment