2.03.2014

unboxing // The Honest Company


I've dabbled in a few DIY natural cleaning products in the past, some of which I still make and use on a regular basis (I will definitely post on those later).  But for now, I'd like to share a company I am trying out who produces products that I don't necessarily want, or have the time, to make at home... i.e. toothpaste and laundry detergent.  Perhaps when I no longer have to work 40 hours a week (haha), I'll give it a go, but for now I'm really looking for affordable convenient solutions.

On one of my trips to Target last month, I picked up this book.

The Honest Company

This is how I was first introduced to The Honest Company.  Jessica Alba and her close friend Christopher Gavigan, the former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World (a national nonprofit empowering parents to protect their children from toxic risks) came together to found THC 2 years ago.  They were frustrated with the lack of healthy products on the market for their babies and familes.  So with that, and many years of research and trials (don't worry, not on our furry friends!) they came up with The Honest Company, dedicated to "delivering, not only effective, but unquestionably safe, eco-friendly, beautiful, convenient, and affordable family essentials straight to your doorstep."  If you are so inclined, you can read more about them here & here.

You can order single items from their website, but the best way to save money is to order by the bundle.  Basically, it is sort of like a 4, 5 or 6 week subscription service, but you actually get to pick the products you want to receive...no surprises.  You create your customized bundle (baby - $79.95, bath & body/ cleaning - $39.95, or health & wellness - $39.95) and pick how often you'd like them sent to you and then you're good to go.  You also have the freedom to change the products each time or add extra products to your bundle whenever you want.

Right now, they are offering a free trial, starting with 5 samples of their products.  I chose the sample Essentials Bundle, but there is also a sample Diapers & Wipes Bundle or a sample Health & Wellness Bundle.  

The sample Essentials Bundle includes:

Shampoo + Body Wash (2 oz)
Face + Body Lotion (.75 oz)
Laundry Detergent (2 oz)
Healing Balm (.75 oz)
Hand Soap (.75 oz)


Remember to cancel if you decide not to participate after you receive the free samples, otherwise they will charge & send you a full size bundle.  Instead, you can just order individual products, if that's more your style.  :)

I did not cancel, because I fell in love immediately!  For me, I loved the lack of dangerous ingredients, the performance (after a test load of laundry) and the price, so I got crackin' on customizing my first personal essentials bundle.


I decided to include mostly cleaning items, because for me those are hardest to find locally, at a reasonable price.  

My custom Essentials Bundle included:

Laundry Detergent (70 oz)
Dryer Cloths (32 cloths)
Multi-Surface Cleaner (26 oz)
Toilet Cleaner (27 oz)
Lemongrass Hand Soap (12 oz)
Toothpaste (6 oz) [This was my extra added item, you can add 3 to each bundle shipment]
 
Anyhow, I started using a few of these (laundry, multi-surface & toilet cleaner) this past week and so far they have great cleaning power.  I think I'll do an update post once I go through them all and let you know what I think at that point.  :)

Click here to get your own!





2 comments:

  1. I can share my laundry detergent recipe with you! It takes me less than 10 minutes to make a 5 gallon bucket that lasts 6 months!!! That's roughly 20 minutes a year!!! ;-) It costs less than $10 for the ingredients and it's very simple and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, please! We will have to set up a make-natural-homemade-cleaning-products date!! :)

      Delete