1.09.2014

review // Tarte - The Tarte of Giving Set - PART I


I think I mentioned in my Sephora VIB Haul post that I've been really loving Tarte Cosmetics.  I got into them over the summer when I was searching for more high performance makeup for my wedding, but I still wanted it to be as natural as possible.  Success.

  So when I saw The Tarte of Giving Set at Sephora during the VIB sale, it seemed like a no-brainier way to try more of their products at a great price.  Like I mentioned in that post, unfortunately, I can't find this on Sephora.com or Tarte.com, but I was actually able to find it on Amazon and Ebay since then.

I've decided to do in-depth reviews on the included best sellers {PART I} becasue they are still readily available.  I will just do general reviews on the eye palette and glosses {PART II}, becasue they are not a part of Tarte's regular collection. I do think reviews on limited edition items can still give a good indication of the overall quality of products that a company puts out.

Okay, there's a lot in here, so let's. get. started.

PACKAGING



The items in this set come in the cutest quilted, purple satin travel bag that opens to reveal two roomy zippered mesh pockets and a clear removable zippered pouch.  The travel bag has shiny gold details and a hook for hanging, so it's perfect on-the-go. I usually find that bags that come with sets can be flimsy or so haphazardly made that they fall apart after one use, but this bag is sturdy and nicely constructed.  It feels like it could take some wear and withstand it fairly well.  

Beyond using natural materials in the products, Tarte also tries to develop sustainable components for the individual product packaging. Much of which can often be re-used to help reduce environmental waste.  All of these products seem well made and come in durable plastics, glass, and cardboard.  I haven't had any problems with the packaging cracking or breaking so far.


PRODUCTS
 
 Inside the clear pouch are deluxe minis of some of Tarte's greatest products (in my opinion).  



They include:

- 0.23 oz Deluxe Pure Maracuja Oil
- 0.08 oz Deluxe Maracuja C-Brighter™ Eye Treatment

- 0.16 oz Deluxe Lights, Camera, Lashes™ 4-In-1 Mascara 
  - 0.05 oz Deluxe Limited-Edition Amazonian 12-Hour Clay Blush in Memorable
- 0.17 oz Deluxe Cheek Stain in Flush



I've been using oil on my face to cleanse and moisturize for over a year now, but I have not tried an oil like the Pure Maracuja Oil from Tarte.  It is so lightweight and fast-absorbing.  I can really tell that it un-tightens my driest areas, but doesn't "grease up" my T-Zone.  I also feel like it helps to even out my redness to give me a more even complexion and it doesn't make me break out, which is awesome.  The website says that the '"nutrient-rich oil contains vitamin C and essential fatty acids.  Vitamin C brightens dull skin for a radiant, dewy, and luminous complexion, while the essential fatty acids repair and rebuild skin, and promote skin recovery by reducing redness, irritation, and inflammation."  Yeah, that sounds about right.  It has a faint nutty smell that doesn't linger, and it's dispensed with a dropper, so it's not a messy application. This size will last you about a month using it just at night, so there's definitely enough to test it.  It's also great for travel.  I pat 5-6 drops all over my face and neck at night after cleansing, and wake up with soft, more even skin.  Win.




Right after applying the Maracuja oil, I dab the Maracuja C-Brighter™ Eye Treatment under and around my eye area, every night. Tarte says this cream visibly hydrates, firms and brightens the delicate eye area with the power of Maracuja oil, plus rice bran, mango, oat sugars and coconut.  It smells a bit citrusy, which is nice.  Again, it's a good amount to be able to test for a month or so and see if you like it.  It only took a couple weeks for me to see results.  I have lots of tiny fine lines around my eyes due to my genes, and the fact that I have super dry under-eyes, and I have started to see improvement in the look of these lines.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this cream does a great job of hydrating that area.  And bonus... it doesn't irritate my eyes one bit.  I honestly can't say yet if it has 'brightened' my eye area, but I don't have a major problem with under eye darkness, so it's hard to tell.  Either way, I'm sold by it's line-diminishing and moisturizing abilities.  In fact, I just ordered a full size one becasue I'm loving it so much..and I'm almost done with this one. Oops.  :)  I think I'll right a follow up once I make my way through that one.




I've also already been using the Lights, Camera, Lashes™ 4-In-1 Mascara, since I first sampled one in a 500 Point Tarte bundle reward .  It's my new fav.  I feel like it's the first more-natural-mascara that hasn't let me down in some way.  The brush is amazing, it is densely packed with bristles, and separates and lengthens without clumping.  Not too big or too small (approx. 1" long), and could be used for both upper and lower lashes.  The formula is even better... one or two coats, no flaking or smudging.  The only sort of negative thing I will say is that when I first opened a bottle of the full size version (yes, I bought that between the 500 point bundle and this set), the formula is a tad bit more liquid than I like.  I prefer it to be just a smidge dryer.  I find it's a little easier to control on my lashes that way.  So, I stopped just short of fully tightening the cap (on the full size) for the first week or so.  I like it better, but you may want to try it how it comes and decide for yourself.  Honestly, I didn't have this issue with the deluxe mini versions...so I'm not sure what's up with that, buuut whatever.  I still get awesome results, so it's all good.  I don't curl my lashes, since I've been blessed with naturally curled ones, so it's hard for me to say if the formula keeps a curl or not.  But I've read other reviews that say it does.  It smells sort of like herbally clay, I know that sounds weird..ha, but it isn't noticeable when you're using it or after it's on.  Definitely, a keeper.



  
The Amazonian 12-Hour Clay Blush in Memorable is a slightly shimmery mauve pink shade.  It seems like it would work on a variety of skin tones, cool to warm.  The compact is the same packaging as the full size, just smaller, but I have no problem tapping my brush in the product and applying like normal.  The color is definitely buildable from light to pretty intense, you just have to layer.  I do like to keep it light and it gives a nice rosy glow look.  Since I don't apply a lot, I find it's hard to tell if it last's 12 hours without fading, but I do know that it doesn't streak or separate and I definitely still see it after 8 hours of work.  My makeup doesn't usually last much longer than that...since I like to wash my face soon after I get home. The color seems to stay true, as well.  I just started dabbling in blush so this is still a new category for me. Overall, it's really nice though.




I do have to say that I think I am loving cream and stain blushes a bit better.  Maybe it's becasue I have dryer cheeks and powder blushes just sit on top of the dryness sometimes.  I don't know, but I think creams/stains gives me more natural, believable color. This Cheek Stain in Flush is great.  I love the color.  It's a very sheer berry red (with no sparkles) on the skin (pic above right is just applied - patting it in creates a softer look), although it's quite a bold raspberry in the packaging.  This one is actually a gel consistency, but some in the line are a cream.  I love how this feels on the skin.  It's light and moisturizing.  I swipe two fingers over the product and then dab on my cheeks and it melts right in leaving a nice wash of color.  It contains the five most active superfruits: goji, açaí, maracuja, acerola, and pomegranate, which help soothe and soften your skin every time you use it.  It's also alcohol free and doesn't clog your pores.  But the BEST thing is that it smells like raspberry gelato, with just a hint of citrus.  Yum.  I can't stop smelling it!  I can't wait to try some of the other shades.


Check back tomorrow for reviews { PART II } on the Tarte of Giving limited edition eyeshadow palette and lip glosses!



P.S. - Sorry I didn't post during the past few weeks...I really wanted to enjoy the holidays (and I did!) and not fret about posting.  I do have some great new ideas for 2014 though...so get ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment