3.13.2014

review // SheaMoisture Facial Moisturizers



My first experience with SheaMoisture products was with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, of which did not work for me (shocker - since I have fine hair).  I probably should have tried the volumizing formula.  Anyhow, shortly after that I noticed that Target was stocking more of their products, including skincare.  This intrigued me (since I'm pretty much obsessed with natural beauty care) and I decided to give this company another go.  This time I opted to try their facial moisturizers.  

A bit about the company... SheaMoisture was started by Sofi Tucker, who sold Shea nuts at her village market in Bonthe, Sierra Leone in 1912. By age 19, the widowed mother of four was selling her Shea butter and African black soap all over the countryside. Her grandchildren now continue her legacy through the Shea Moisture brand.
They create culturally-authentic, time-tested skin and hair care remedies from family recipes using all-natural and fair trade ingredients.
 
SheaMoisture products don't contain Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, DEA, PABA, Synthetic Fragrance or Artificial Color. And they do not participate in animal testing.  YAY!


PACKAGING
 

Both moisturizers come in boxes, with a surprising amount of info on them.  It talks about who they are, what the product is, how it's for, what's in it and how to use it.  This makes it a breeze to purchase their products even if you've never heard of them before... a great marketing technique.. props SM.  There's nothing I hate more than a product who's box doesn't show the ingredients and how to use it... who wants to be that weirdo opening all the boxes in the beauty isle?  Well, it's usually me, but I digress...  

The actually container is a recyclable glass jar with a plastic lid.  Even though it's glass, it's fairly thick so I think it would be fine to travel with.  The plastic lid seems very sturdy and durable, as well, and it screws on and off easily.  The jar label has all of the the info as the box, sans who they are.  I love this becasue all the product info is still available, even if you throw out the box.  Some people don't like jars, but I actually do becasue all of the product is available, unlike a lot of hard plastic bottles with pumps...you know there's still 1/5 of the product left in there after the pumps stops dispensing.  I couldn't tell you how many of those I've macgyvered open to get those last drips and drabs.  If you don't, that's just money wasted.  As long as you dip in with clean fingers, 
I think it's all good.

 
PRODUCT

I still use a few drops of my jojoba or maracuja oil at night, but have also been supplementing with the Raw Shea Butter Anti-Aging Moisturizer (2 oz.), especially if my skin has felt parched that day.  I like to use the Coconut & Hibiscus Spot Correcting Moisturizer in the morning under my make up.



The Raw Shea Butter Anti-Aging moisturizer (2 oz.) is recommended for dry and aging skin, but I have combination/aging and it works great.  I mainly use this as a night cream to combat wrinkles and loss of elasticity, which I am starting to notice more and more as I creep towards 30.  It has a light beige color and the scent is slightly spicy & earthy, but doesn't linger once applied.   It has a creamy consistency, which absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling super hydrated, not greasy.  

Beyond that, I love all of the good ingredients that are helping make my skin look younger and healthier.  Essential fatty acids help lift and re-define facial contours while improving elasticity. Natural oils, and cocoa & Shea butter soften and smooth the skin.  Frankincense and Myrrh help in defending against fine lines and wrinkles, revitalizing dull skin. Their benefits actually date back thousands of years and range from use in cosmetics and perfumes to anti-inflammatory medicinal benefits.

I've definitely noticed on nights when I use this, the next morning my skin looks tighter and more balanced.  It's not an instant miracle worker on the fine lines I do have, but I feel like they have gotten softer 
since I've been using this.



 
The Coconut & Hibiscus Spot Correcting moisturizer (2 oz.) is recommended for dull and uneven skin, which I am prone to, especially in my dryer areas.  I also have freckles and a few acne scars.  I like to use this under my makeup in the mornings, becasue it's a bit lighter than the Shea formula.  It has a bright white color and the scent is sweet & tropical, and again, doesn't linger once applied... although I kind of wish it would.  YUM.   It still has a creamy consistency, which absorbs quickly, but it's light.  Unfortunately, it's not quite moisturizing enough for me sometimes, so I will add a moisturizing facial spray (another post for another time) or a dab of the Raw Shea moisturizer in my dry areas.  I've only been using this during the winter, so this may be fine during the summertime.  We shall see...  

Again, this formula contains all natural ingredients, this time, helping give a more even, radiant glow to the skin.  Shea butter and organic coconut oil nourish and firm skin with Vitamin E and K, iron and fatty acids.  While, hibiscus flower and Songyi mushroom extracts help brighten the appearance of dull, uneven skin tone.

I'm almost done with this jar, as you can see in the image above, and I can honestly say that some of my darker freckles and the few acne scars I have, are lighter and my face does seem a bit brighter over all.  It's hard to say if it's solely becasue of this moisturizer, but I definitely think it has contributed.
 

PRICING

$ out of $$$
 These facial moisturizers range in price from $12 - $15 depending on which you get and where you buy them.  To me at first, this seemed a little high, but in comparison to some other all-natural moisturizers I've seen, which were around $30 for 1.5 oz, this is actually a pretty good deal.


PURCHASING

You can purchase SheaMoisture products - face, hair, body and Baby - at most local drugstores. 
I got mine at target.  Their website has a full list.  Since it's under construction at the moment though, you can check out their Facebook page for more info. 


 CONCLUSION

Overall, I really like these moisturizers and I think I'll definitely purchase them again.  They have no nasty ingredients, do what they say and are reasonably priced.  There are a few other brands I might like to try out though, so maybe after those.  :)  Always on the hunt for the best in natural skincare!  Oh, and those of you that have oily or acne prone skin there is actually another line specifically for that.  African Black Soap Problem Skin Moisturizer may be for you! 

I have been trying out some of their lotion and body wash, as well.  I'll be sharing my thoughts on those in a few weeks, so definitely check back for that.  

And please leave a comment below, if you've tried these or any other SheaMoisture products that you can't live without!  I'd love to hear.  :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment