4.14.2014

review // Battle of the Blotting Tissues!


Even though I have dry/combination skin I do tend to get a bit oily in my T zone during the day, especially in the summertime.  I've been going through a blotting tissue journey, if you will, and figured I'd share my thoughts.

 

c/o FabEllis (since I'm all out!)

Since I first learned about blotting sheets about 5 years ago I had been using the Mary Kay beauty blotters oil-absorbing tissues.  I was a Mary Kay (MK) consultant and so I got a good deal on them... about $3 for 75 sheets ($6/75 sheets retail)... they were a good size (1 did the job), dispensed easily and absorbed amazingly without taking off my makeup.  Well, when I stopped being a consultant and ran out of the MK tissues about a year ago, I went searching elsewhere for a comparable alternative....



First, I tried e.l.f. Essential Shine Eraser sheets and they were okay.  The best selling point is that you get 50 sheets for only $1.  BUT they were a bit smaller and not as absorbent.  They dispensed easy enough & didn't mess up my makeup, but I would have to use at least two e.l.f. tissues to do the same job of just one MK tissue.



Next was, Boots expert shine control papers.  Okay, so you get 50 sheets for about $5... so I'm thinking, "Great! These have got to be a bit more absorbent..."  Well, they are, but they are so small and you have to rip them out of the little booklet they come it. There's no easy dispenser on this one.  This was unknown to me until I got home and unwrapped the booklet from it's plastic cover...  Inevitably you waste part of the tissue and you have to use 2 or 3 since they are so itty bitty.  But, like I said, they were excellent at absorbing and my makeup didn't budge, but I just can't be bothered with the tearing out and then blotting three times.  No go.



Then, while in the checkout line at Sephora about a month ago, I spotted boscia's [limited edition] Pink Peppermint Blotting Linens.  I had actually heard some good things about them, so I thought, let's give it a go.  So you get 100 sheets for $5 (at least I did, but I've also seen then for $10...).  That's basically the same price as the Boots tissues and a bit more than MK and E.L.F. tissues.  But at least these are pretty much worth it.  They are the same size as my beloved MK tissues and have a nice built-in dispenser too, but they feel more like the E.L.F. tissues and that is my only complaint.  Again, these don't pick up any makeup but I just don't feel like, compared to my MK tissues, that these absorb quite as well. And the peppermint extract smells nice, but it's not a big selling point for me.  I'd rather the tissue work amazingly and have no scent. 


I should mention that none of these tissues have oil added... Yes, that's right, some companies add mineral oil.  Uh, cough... Clean & Clear... cough, cough.  Seems a bit counterproductive to me... What a good reminder to always check the ingredient list!  ;)

In fact, looking at the ingredients of each, it seems like the tissues with linen and/or calcium carbonate absorb better (to me).  My conclusion is that the best blotting tissue would be a larger tissue made from one or both of these ingredients.  I think that means out of these four options, my Mary Kay tissues win.  I know there are tons more options out there, but I think it may be time to find my MK consultant and order some more of these!




No comments:

Post a Comment